Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Funeral for.. Something

On a quest for a particular Magritte painting, this image came up in my search which as it turns out is a cover for an album called Casually Dressed and Deep In Conversation by a band called Funeral For a Friend.

Stop. As in full telegram lingo, STOP.

Intrigued and excited, I happily plunge into the very slow myspace site hoping for my next new favorite band. I mean, with a surrealist cover and morbid love band name... how can we go wrong? Oh so so so very. They're definitely a funeral... like funeral for that dead wasp on the bus yesterday we were all happy to throw out the door or those really gross human hair tentacles that cling to you in a pool. That's called disappointment kids and also apophenia, which if you didn't know is the experience of seeing meaningful patterns or connections in random or meaningless data and pretty much sums up most of what I do with my day. I'm sure there's some cliche buried in here about not judging books by the cover or believing kitsch can be anything but just that but I won't pretend to be that erudite. Insert wink emoticon.


My search also unearthed this very interesting essay by Matthew Clay Field, entitled Happy Hour which made the previous not only irrelevant but also worthwhile. As Jane Austen said in a very different context, "A woman likes to be crossed in love a little now and then" or something to that effect.

Darling live version of The House She Lived In by The Veils.


I’d offer my soul
If I thought it might help at all
And I’d follow you down that road
If I thought it might help at all

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...